Develop graphics and layouts for print and online use, using primarily Adobe InDesign, Illustrator, and Photoshop. Work with an account executive to research and analyze a client’s brand and market to solve communication problems visually. Understand basic principles of typography and basic psychology of color, to better develop branding for clients. Use design principles to artfully organize elements on a page based on a hierarchy of information. Manage assets (images, vectors, logos, etc.) of a complicated project in an organized, logical manner. Take concepts from group brainstorming and sketching all the way to coordination with printers and pre-press design. Participate in and respond to critiques between designers & agency art director.
- Taste – Firm grasp of design principles and demonstrated ability to tastefully choose colors, pair fonts, and lay out documents.
- Critical Receptivity – Accepting and giving design critiques in a respectful, constructive manner, based on research and not personal opinion.
- “Clean” Design – Designing in a way that anyone could open your file and understand how to change any element. Linking files properly and deleting unnecessary elements.
- Time Management – Managing one’s own time and the time of others. Heeding deadlines and adjusting one’s process in order to meet them.
- Self-Motivated – Accepting responsibility for your own work, asking for tasks when you’ve finished current ones, attempting to solve problems on your own before asking for help.
- Learning Mindset – Being eager to learn about the industry, willing to grow from criticism, and helpful to other interns in the agency.
- Reading & Writing Comprehension – Understanding grammar, spelling, and user-oriented writing enough to proofread and edit provided content.